Receives, relays or acts upon oral, written or
radio instructions from customer or customer service representative or
other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement or delivery of
railroad cars and/or a train.
- Conducts the movement of rail cars and train
- Observes, interprets and relays arm, lantern
or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a
- Operates track switches (visually checks
switch condition and route) to change the direction of the engine or
cars within yard limits or on the main track; may apply or release
hand brakes to switch or perform other duties.
- Reads and understands the book of rules,
timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety
instructions, and other written or printed material.
- Prepares required daily reports; switch lists
- manually or with a computer.
- Inspects the condition of the train and
equipment in movement and while stationary.
- May couple air and electrical connections
between locomotives when making up trains
High School Diploma or GED Required, Associate's
2 years work experience/or equivalent training
required, experience in a 24/7 work environment with exposure to outside
weather conditions preferred.